On the 20-year anniversary of his groundbreaking masterpiece “Roger & Me,” Michael Moore’s “Capitalism: A Love Story” comes home to the issue he’s been examining throughout his career: the disastrous impact of corporate dominance on the everyday lives of Americans. But this time the culprit is much bigger than General Motors, and the crime scene is far wider than Flint, Michigan.
• Open membership – no gender, social, racial, political or religious discrimination
• Democratic control – one member, one vote
• Equitable economic participation among members and distribution of profits based on patronage
• Autonomy and independence – controlled by members
• Education and training
• Cooperation among cooperatives
• Concern for community
– Let’s Go Local – Michael Pollen
– Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farmer – Petaluma, CA
– City Slickers – Backyard garden program, West Oakland, CA – A non-profit establishing and supporting back yard organic gardens (86 gardens as of May 2009).